Sunday, April 18, 2010

Becoming the Student

I just spent two days at a Fitness Convention here in Houston. This is something I go to every year. It's always nice to see old friends and co-workers and enjoy the opportunity to learn something new. It's also one of the few times I get to shut my mouth and let someone else do the talking, the teaching, the training and the butt kicking! I so love being a personal trainer and fitness instructor. I love teaching others about health & fitness, encouraging them, being their cheerleader, and their support system. It's also nice to turn the tables and have someone do this for me. So many times, after a long day of training, I often don't have much left in me to push myself through my own workouts. I'm usually exhausted from being on my feet all day, demonstrating exercises, motivating and coaching and sometimes working out with my clients, that there's nothing left to give to myself.

These last 2 days, I was able to participate in fitness classes and training sessions and give 100% effort and boy did I feel it! I took a yoga class for the first time in years and LOVED IT! I never knew yoga could make me so sore! I also participated in a kick-butt bootcamp that left me sweaty and invigorated. I took 3 spin classes that were completely amazing. I participated in an "Everest Ride" that was nothing short of spectacular. I really don't think I've ever sweat so much in a spin class or felt so energized! All of these presenters (instructors) were motivating, uplifting and full of energy! I'm sure there are some good days when I can reach my members and clients in the same way (at least I hope) but I never really know for sure. After taking some of these classes, I feel renewed and ready to conquer the world. I hope to become that kind of trainer and instructor again and really touch my clients and members lives. I will be here to cheer you on, motivate you and support you when you need it! Being the student was fun and I learned a lot and hope to pass it on!

2 comments:

  1. wish i had been in on the Everest ride -- you know how i love hills!

    also wish i could be in houston to benefit from all your new found energy!

    much love,
    jewellyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl! We miss you around here!

    ReplyDelete