Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Call Me Betty Crocker!

I don't know what has gotten into me lately but I've been a cooking fool. In the last few weeks I've made homemade Mediterranean pizza, cereal bars, protein muffins, rice krispie treats and dinner just about every week night. I've been a meal planning fool and really trying to stick with it so my family can eat healthy every night and have some yummy snacks. I admit there have been a few "bombs" that did not receive approval from the family but I've mostly had positive reviews so I can't complain. I decided to post my recipe for "Family Friendly" cereal bars. This is not the original recipe as I didn't think my kids would "dig" that version. I changed a few things around and the kids love them! I have to admit they can be a little crumbly (since they're Gluten Free) so I keep them cut-up in the freezer so they stay together. Today, I actually crumbled one up and put it on top of my yogurt and it was so yummy! The kids have been asking for the bars in their lunches so I guess I'll be making them again. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Lean Cereal Bars
Makes 8 servings

2 C. puffed wheat (I substituted Rice Krispies)
1/3 C. Ground almonds or walnuts
2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
1 C. vanilla whey protein powder
1/3 C. dried Fruit (cranberries, blueberries or raisins) I used mini chocolate chips too!!
1/3 C. pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. natural peanut butter (I would use a little more to make it stick together better)

In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Set aside.

In a pot, combine syrup and coconut oil. Heat to a simmer. Add vanilla extract and peanut butter and remove from heat. Stir with a fork to blend ingredients.

Add liquid mixture to cereal mixture and mix with a spoon.

Press evenly into an oiled 8x8" pan. Let cool in the refrigerator until solid. Cut into 8 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment