Sunday, March 6, 2011

Texas Independence Relay

I'm back in the game and couldn't be happier!!

I've been on a hiatus from running for 2 months and well, to put it in simple terms, I've been grumpy! I am miserable without running in my life. It just plain makes me happy which makes me a better wife, mother, trainer, etc. I need that "endorphine high" or "adrenaline rush" or whatever you want to call it. With my foot being out of commission, life hasn't been the same.


This weekend changed everything! I'm running again! Man it feels good!

A few weeks ago, Cale got a call from one of his old buddies who has an injured foot and needed Cale to take his place in the Texas Independence Relay. The TIR is a relay (a team of 12 runners) that starts in Gonzales, TX and finishes in San Jacinto. The race takes 2 days and is continuous throughout the day and night. Cale agreed to pick up some legs on Saturday to help out. A few days later, another runner had to drop out so I was asked to take her place and agreed to a few short legs but knew I'd be slow because of my foot. We received our leg assignments Thursday evening and were surprised to learn we were each running 3 legs (totaling about 15 miles for each of us) within a 10-11 hour window. Whew! I was freaking out!

Being the stubborn person I am, I agreed to run my assigned legs and mentally prepared myself. We started out early Sat. morning with Cale running Leg 1 and then I took over with Leg 2. I began my Leg 2 at a reasonably slow pace to test the legs and my foot. That didn't last long. My body was cooperating and off I went! I kept an 8+ minute mile for most of my runs and felt awesome! I can't describe how good it felt to get out on the open road again and to be part of a team. I won't lie, it wasn't easy. My last 4.5 mile leg was excrutiating as my legs were locked up from the 6 hour rest I'd had but I pushed through it with determination. Cale rocked his runs and gave our team some great leads! Overall, it was a blast! Cale and I were honored to be part of such an amazing team of runners (they are still going as I type this). To all the Texas Trailblazers out there...You guys rock and we are thrilled we were able to be a part of the team!

So, my words of wisdom to you...Don't give up! Don't count yourself out! You body is an amazing machine and can do anything you put your mind to!


Yes, this is my husband, Cale, dressed and ready for his run. Needless to say, he was a hit with the audience!

This is me on Leg 1 and smiling!










No comments:

Post a Comment