Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Well, finally, Spring is almost here and that means one important thing for my family...an abundance of fresh, beautiful produce all over the house! I love stocking up on the best fruits and vegetables, washing everything, slicing and bagging all of it to be kept handy for snacking. Whenever my kids want a snack I tell them to open the fridge and choose anything in the containers. There is nothing better than fresh fruit on a warm day and there are about a million different ways to enjoy it!

I just wanted to take a moment to let everyone in Houston know about the fabulous produce I found at HEB! They have a huge selection of organic strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc. and are all on sale! I totally loaded up! We had a fabulous berry medley for dessert last night (Cale always adds some sugar-free whipped cream for the kids) and I've been popping handfuls of fresh blueberries in my mouth all day. So good and full of antioxidants!
Whatever we don't eat in the next few days will be put in ziploc bags and frozen to be used for future desserts, smoothies and whatever else we can think of. It's time to head to the store or farmer's market and load up on whatever is fresh and preferably grown local.

I also headed to the local plant store with the kids yesterday and finished buying our veggie plants for the garden. We loaded up on lots of herb plants, squash, zucchini, strawberries, peppers, etc. and will plant a future feast. My kids love to grow produce right in their own backyard. They're usually willing to try something new when it comes from their own garden. It's a great money saver too and fun for the family!

If you have any great ideas on how to get the kiddos to eat healthy, please send them to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment